Of all the injury-prevention techniques available, the simplest – and one of the most effective – is making sure that your running shoes fit properly. Here are a few tips to help make sure your running shoes fit:
• When you try on shoes, wear the socks you'll wear when running.
• Our feet swell as we walk around during the day, so try to shop later in the day or in the evening.
• The heel shouldn't be loose, but neither should there be any pronounced “pressure spots” – especially at the Achilles tendon.
• You should have about a finger's width of space between your longest toe and the front of the shoe.
• If you have to lace the shoe so tightly that there's noticeable pressure on the top of your foot to make it fit, the shoe is too big.