The Butterfly Stretch Relaxes The Groin
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Exercises and other Running topics.
What exercise will prevent a groin pull?
Nobody wants to suffer a groin pull, especially not a runner who is training for a marathon, because these injuries can take a long time to heal. Consistent but gentle stretching may reduce your chances of injury, and a simple butterfly stretch is part of my pre-run routine.
- Sit on the floor and place the soles of your feet together.
- Keep your feet as close to your body as possible.
- If your hips are tight, your knees will be high; if you have flexible hips, your knees may come close to the floor.
- Hold your ankles and bend forward from the waist.
- Place your elbow against your inner thighs and push down gently as you bend forward to help move your knees toward the floor.
- Remember : Do NOT stretch to the point of pain.