Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Short-distance Running and other Running topics.
The U.S. is one of only two nations that haven't converted to the metric system. However, most activities of an international scope in the U.S. have converted. The good news is that many races on the track are very roughly equivalent to distances that are familiar to most Americans.
• 400 meters is approximately a quarter-mile
• 800 meters is approximately a half-mile
• 1,500 meters is about 100 yards short of a mile
• 5,000 meters is approximately 3.1 miles
• 10,000 meters is approximately 6.2 miles